Monthly Archives: March, 2013

Portech MV-372 VOIP-GSM gateway

Recently I had the misfortune of having to deal with a Portech MV-372. It’s Asterisk compatible, and fairly easy to configure on it’s web based interface. It even allows you to send/read SMS on the web interface.
However unfortunately the web interface handles special characters ( like Hungarian öüóőúéáí characters ) terribly. In fact it doesn’t even show them while reading SMS.
No matter, usually you wouldn’t use it’s web interface for anything else but testing anyways.
Conveniently you can just telnet into it, authorize yourself, and communicate with it with AT commands. However here comes the first problem: It has no ducmentation!
This in itself makes it harder to use the device since one has to hunt documentation about other similar devices to get to know what commands it might know. Which wasn’t that much of a problem, other than usually it doesn’t react the way you expect it to the commands. That can be still dealt with. However here comes the next big problem: It likes to mess up the SMS headers ( that tell the origin, length, and whatnot ) if the header contains an origin that is not a number but text, and also contains special characters.
So I ended up having to learn to communicate with it using PDU messages when querying / sending SMS. Since then it seems to be working OK.

 

Allwinner A13 SoC based Android devices

This Allwinner A13 SoC can be found mostly in cheap chinese tablets, for a simple reason: It’s cheap. There’s a reason for their cheapness: They perform terribly. Even browsing simple web sites it quite laggy with these devices.
However I’ve found one advantage: They are virtually invincible from the software side. No matter how much you mess up a firmware update, they are recoverable! Which is quite nice while learning the ins and outs of Android devices and experimenting with different firmwares. Even making your own!

 

C++ typeid keyword can be evil

So as I found out not so long ago, different compilers handle this one totally differently ( they provide the names in a different format ), so it’s totally unreliable for cross-platform development.
This is probably in the spec, but I can’t recall reading this in any book I’ve read. It could have saved me lots of hair pulling while trying to find the issue in my code…

Ryzom GUI Editor as of March 2013

Hi there!
So as promised here’s a post about the latest features of the Ryzom GUI Editor! There are actually 2 new major features implemented. Let’s start with the one that I implemented first:

Editing GUI widget templates

This one is a convenience feature, since whatever you can do with it, can be done by directly editing the XML files provided for the GUI Editor.
Basically all it does is allows you to add/remove GUI widget templates, and add/remove the properties they have from inside the GUI Editor.
These are the templates that tell the GUI Editor what widgets there are in the GUI, and what properties they have. These are what tell the GUI Editor what to query and show in the
widget properties windows docked in the right.
Here’s a short video showing how it works:

Selecting and deleting widgets in the scene

This one is a lot more important feature! It shows your selection properly in the scene, and allows you to remove the widgets selected.
There isn’t much more to tell about this, since it’s role is so obvious. Let a video speak and show you how it works.