While working on kdev-valgrind, I learned some debug lessons about them, and kinda made up a smaller checklist for problems I’ve encountered.
Problem: plugin doesn’t load
- Is the plugin installed to the right directory?
- Is the plugin path set correctly? ( QT_PLUGIN_PATH )
- Is the kdevelop version in the plugin manifest correct? ( .desktop file in KDE 4 style manifest )
Problem: when starting KDevelop KDE complains about missing .rc file for the plugin
- Is the .rc file installed to the right directory? ( e.g.: /usr/share/kxmgui5/plugin/plugin.rc )
- Is the .rc file named correctly and is it the same as set with setXMLFile in the plugin?
- Is the .rc file named the same as the plugin’s name in IPlugin’s constructor?
Problem: plugin menu items don’t show up
- Is the plugin loaded?
- Check the possible problems in the section above