As you all probably know CppCheck is static code analyzer tool for C and C++. KDevelop has a plugin that provides a front-end for it, and the plugin is called kdev-cppcheck.
The good news is I’ve updated it’s GUI and now it uses the KDevelop Problem Checker Framework.
In the past it used to have it’s own toolview, where it showed issues in different formats (flat issue list, grouped by files, grouped by issue severity), based on the settings set in a KCM module.
Here’s a screenshot showing and example of this
What I’ve done is break up that KCM module, and create a per project settings window, and a general global settings window. The global settings window allows you to set the location of the cppcheck tool
The per project settings window allows one to set the rest: parameters, and what should be checked
Also the results area now shown in the problems toolview, just like problems found by the background parser, in it’s own tab.
Here’s a video showing the workflow
First of all let me introduce some concepts for readers who are unfamilair with them.
What is krayz2?
What is kdev-krazy2?
kdev-krazy is a plugin for KDevelop, that provides a frontend for Krazy2, so it can be run directly from KDevelop. The resulting issues also show up in KDevelop.
Up until now the plugin had it’s own toolview. That’s where settings could be changed, analysis started, and that’s where the issues showed up. Let’s see some screenshots!
The first one shows the main KDevelop window, with the plugin loaded, showing the krazy2 toolview docked in the bottom (fairly large picture, feel free to click).
Clicking either the “Select paths” or “Select checkers” buttons shows settings dialogs, not surprisingly you can select paths and chekers in them. The next 2 screenshots shows those.
Finally the result of the analysis is shown in the toolview
All this was in the past. Now the settings can be changed in the per project settings window
The analysis can be started from the Run menu.
The results show up in the problems toolview, the same way that problems detected by the background parser, in a separate tab
Here’s a video showing how it all works
I’m pleased to announce that the KDevelop Checker Framework has been pushed to the KDevPlatform repository. Here are some details about it:
- Moved ProblemModel to shell
- Reworked the Problems toolview. Now it works like this:
- ProblemModels are added to ProblemModelSet.
- ProblemReporterFactory makes instances of ProblemsView.
- ProblemsView takes the models from ProblemModelSet (also subscribes for updates about them, so if one is added or removed it can add/remove their views) and it provides a tabbed widget where the views for them can be added. It creates instances of ProblemTreeView which show the problems in ProblemModel, and adds them to the tabs. Also the tabs shows the number of problems in the ProblemModels.
- The toolview will only add actions that are supported by the model (for example: filtering, grouping, reparsing, showing imports. Obviously reparsing doesn’t make sense for runtime problem checkers)
See the video:
- First it shows that the “old” problem reporter still works as intended (which also uses the new code now)
- Then from 1:07 onward it shows an example problem model/view working with randomly generated test data.
- It shows the features of the new model(s), that is filtering by files/project and issue severity.
- It also shows the grouping support (grouping by severity, and path.
- Broke up ProblemModel into 2 parts
- Base ProblemModel that provides the QAbstractItemModel interface for views and can use various ProblemStores to store problems. By default it uses FilteredProblemStore.
- ProblemReporterModel is basically the old ProblemModel that grabs problems from DUChain, it’s a subclass of ProblemModel.
- ProblemStore simply stores problems as a list (well technically it stores them in a tree, but it only has 1 level, so it’s a list). There’s no filtering, no grouping. It’s perfect for ProblemReporterModel since it does filtering itself when grabbing the problems from DUChain.
- FilteredProblemStore DOES filtering, and grouping itself. It stores problems in a tree (ProblemStoreNode subclasses). The tree structure depends on the grouping method, which is implemented with GroupingStrategy subclasses.
- Moved WatchedDocumentSet and it’s subclasses from ProblemModel to ProblemStore, as it is really a detail that the model itself doesn’t need, however ProblemStore which stores the problems needs it actually.
- Created a new Problem class, DetectedProblem and moved both this and the “old” Problem class in under the IProblem interface. The intent here was to create a class with a clear interface for problems, which ProblemStore can simply store. I wanted to eventually clear the problems out of DUChain and replace the “old” Problem class with it. However I realized that it’s not practical because of the “show imports” feature which shows the problems from imported contexts. Unfortunately DUChain is the class that knows those, and it’s way too much work to get it out from it. Not to mention it doesn’t even make sense, since it’s really something that logically belongs there.
Using this new system is fairly straightforward:
All one has to do is instantiate a model, add it to the model set:
KDevelop::ILanguageController *lc = KDevelop::ICore::self()->languageController();
KDevelop::ProblemModelSet *pms = lc->problemModelSet();
m_model = new KDevelop::ProblemModel(this);
Then later inject problems into it:
KDevelop::DetectedProblem *p = new KDevelop::DetectedProblem();
Here’s a class diagram about the relevant classes: