At work we still use Tomcat 7 in production and I needed to set up debugging for various development systems. This article shows how to enable Tomcat 7 remote debugging
Enabling Tomcat 7 remote debugging via JDWP
I use Ubuntu 16.04 LTE so I’ll use that in the example, but other distros will not be that much different, except for the path and (re)starting the service of course.
- Edit or create the file /usr/share/tomcat7/bin/setenv.sh and put in the following content:
export JAVA_OPTS=”-Xdebug \
Note: Obviously if the file already exists and it already has some content, then just add the parameters instead of adding the entire line.
- Restart Tomcat
sudo service tomcat7 restart
- Go to the Tomcat binary directory, which is by default
c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\bin
- Start the program Tomcat7w.exe
- Switch to the java tab and add the following lines to the Java options textbox:
Note: It is important that each of the parameters should be added on separate lines, and that lines should have no whitespaces in the end!
- Restarts Tomcat 7
net stop tomcat7
net start tomcat7
Attaching Netbeans debugger to Tomcat 7
Now that we have Tomcat running with the remote debugging on we can attach Netbeans to debug.
- Click debug – attach debugger, a dialog box will appear
- Select Java Debugger (JPDA) as the Debugger
- Select SocketAttach as Connector
- Fill in host / IP address to the host field
- Fill in port to the Port field, in this example the port is 8787, but obviously it can be any non-taken port
- Click OK
- If everything went OK the debugging tab should show up showing the running threads
…and that’s it! Happy bug hunting!
Right now I am writing up network / system design paper for school, and I desperately needed a diagram tool, that I can use on any platform, and it can create pretty network diagrams. Guess what I’ve found a really good one!
( NOTE: The picture is NOT my actual diagram, just a sketch )
So I accidentally broke my youtube account some time ago: I deleted my Google+ account, and while the youtube account remained, I couldn’t upload anymore! ( Except for email uploads ).
I didn’t know what to do, so I wanted to create a new youtube account.
My first idea was to create a new youtube page and use the youtube channel of that.
Unfortunately that didn’t work!
So I ended up creating a new Google account, a new Google+ account for that account, and transfer the broken page to it, then transfer it back to the original account. That fixed it!
I read an article not long ago that Google is like the old Microsoft now. Regarding this one particular issue, it’s definitely true! I just had to power off and on again, and the problem went away! 😀
In my next post I will write about what was my first approach before I accidentally fixed the issue.
This is my very first ever blog post. When I get a little time more will follow!